Tuesday, September 7, 2010

New Headboard for J.

Two weeks ago, I was gung-ho about building the PB inspirational bed I loved. I was going to have the store make all my cuts for me. After talking with the person in the lumber department and making some test cuts for precision checking, I chose my wood and was ready to move forward.

After only one cut, we both discovered the saw was either inaccurate or needed to be calibrated again. I left empty handed as the cut was so bad, getting square corners to make the bed would be impossible.

Funny story would be that I received a call while I was in DC telling me the saw was indeed now calibrated for me. Isn't that dedication for you? I haven't had a chance to go back so in the meanwhile, I made this head board for J. as my temporary solution.




Since getting rid of the sleigh bed and lowering the bed, the room looks so much bigger.



Here's my head board I made for the cost of $0. I had a scrap piece of wood in the garage that I brought to the store to get cut. It didn't matter if the cut was perfect.



I measured and marked my hole spots.



Then I drilled holes so that I could tuft it later.



I layered foam and batting I already had onto the wood.



I flipped it over and stapled the corduroy brown fabric I also already had.



Next , I tufted the head board.



More detailed instructions on how to hang the headboard here.



I thought it was the perfect solution to what I needed. I do want to build the bed, but I don't know if I will have the time in the near future to do so. For now, the head board makes the bed complete.

Not spending anything on the head board, allowed me to splurge on the bedding. Since it was the exact colors we were aiming for, we had to get it. J.'s favorite color is orange and since the wall was a whale gray and and a boulder gray, the comforter set was indeed perfect for the room. The price tag of $102 wasn't perfect, but skimping in some areas let me splurge in others. I will say that although, the price was more than what I was seeking to spend, I did save 75% off the price tag so I did follow my bargain shopping rule of decorating on a budget.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great blog, and what a beautiful house you have! I love your projects and may attempt a headboard of my own now thanks to your great and detailed instructions. Thank you so much for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails