Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Super Mario Birthday Party - Princess Peach Felt Crowns



For E's birthday party, I was confident that I was going to make Mario Caps for the boys, but I didn't want the girls to be left out. The majority of girls don't even know who Super Mario is so I wanted to make something that they would enjoy regardless if they knew who the characters were, but I also wanted to keep the Super Mario theme. Therefore, I decided to make the crown Princess Peach wears.

Here is the character, Princess Peach. Her crown looked simple enough. I figured, "what girl wouldn't want to be a Princess?" I'd been invited to three Pink and Princess Parties this year alone so I convinced myself that this was a great headpiece for the girls.

As with any creation that I make, I started with a hand-drawn picture which I then drew on the computer. Here's the crown I came up with.



After spending 10-12 hours sewing the Mario caps, I was unsure if I wanted to tackle another unknown amount of sewing hours on the crowns. The weekend before the party, I printed and cut the paper crowns for all the girls that I invited. I told myself "...and that was that."

Yet, if you really knew me, "that is really never just that." In the end, somehow, I always convince myself to go the extra mile and so off to the fabric store I went to buy some felt two days before the party.



I used my paper crowns as a template for the felt (slightly modifying it), layering a slightly smaller yellow layer on top of the golden felt.





To save a little time, I used some spray glue to adhere the two layers together. To match the princess peach crown, I cut out blue and red circles to resemble the gems she has on her crown.





Since all the girls have a different size head, I used elastic for the back in order for it to be adjustable.



To make the elastic strap, cut out a piece of felt approximately 24" in length and about 2"-3" wide depending upon your preference. The length doesn't have to be exact since it will be scrunched up in the end.



Fold the felt length-wise and sew. Do not sew the ends together so that you can insert the elastic all the way through.



Next, cut a piece of elastic that is approximately 6"- 8". Use a longer piece for a larger head size. Mine were for 6 year olds.



To get the elastic to go through the fabric, tie a knot at the end of the elastic and insert a stick in the knot. I just nabbed a chopstick.



Insert the stick into the opening of the fabric.



Be sure to pin the end of the elastic to the end of the fabric so that it does not go all the way through.



Once through the fabric, grab hold of the elastic and remove the stick. Un-knot the elastic.



Pin the elastic to the felt and then sew the ends of the openings together with the elastic in between. Make sure the elastic doesn't slip.



When you are done, they should look like this:



Sew the elastic band to the crown.





Here is the back of the crown





The final product is a crown definitely fit for any Princess





Here are a few princesses that were more than happy to model their crown.



Thanks girls! You are all a peach!

23 comments:

  1. Hello...i was wondering if you sell those crowns...They are ADORABLE!! I have been looking all over online for a few to buy for my son's upcoming mario party and can't find them anywhere...I came across your blog! Any suggestions...I wish I was as talented as you:)

    e-mail rachelayers@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Where did you get the template for the crown? Thank you!

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the template through trial and error on the computer and then duplicated it on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Is there a general height and length that you made it? I just want to make sure it's in a good porportion to the little girls heads I am making it for! :) I have a little boy... lol!

    Thanks!

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! any chance we can get a copy of the crown's template? my son's mario party is next weekend and i need to make a crown for my daughter. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patman, send me an email and I will forward you the paper template. I made minor adjustments to make the fabric crown, but that was done via free-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! These are wonderful! Do you have the template posted anywhere online? If not could you send it to my email SiemFamily4@hotmail.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you send me the template as well?
    nw_otwell@yahoo.com

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. can you please send me the template please !
    @ penkitten688@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crafty girl-you are amazing! thank you for sharing your multi-talents with us. i just came across your site by chance, and was in awe at all you do! can you kindly share your template for the crowns(if you are still doing so)I would like to "try" making one. Thank you so much!!!
    jj1201@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. kindly email the template too dear...

    nbsc2023@gmail.com

    thank you and God bless your talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, it took me so long! It was archived somewhere. I have updated my post with a link to the paper template. Note that although I used the paper template to produce the felt crown, I did modify the final crown so that it would look better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you srill have the template and if so can you please email to me at glendascreations@hotmail.com all your ideas are great!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just click the link up at the top of the post. Have fun!

      Delete
  14. Hello crafty girl your so talented. You did a great job. Thanks for the ideas. My son's Mario party is coming this month end. Can you send me the template too. sophiajodie@yahoo.com Thank you so much. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just click the link up at the top of the post.

      Delete
  15. Did you use regular felt? It looks as if it might be the stiffer felt, and I just wanted to check before I purchased the wrong kind. Also, did you buy it cut from a bolt of fabric or by the smaller sheets?

    Thanks,
    Desri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use the stiffer felt that was in the bolt for the yellow pieces. For the color pieces, I bought a couple of small squares at Hobby Lobby.

      Delete
  16. wow my daughter made a whole peach costume with your crown

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello...i was wondering if you sell those crowns...They are ADORABLE!! I have been looking all over online for a few to buy for my son's upcoming mario party and can't find them anywhere...I came across your blog! Any suggestions...I wish I was as talented as you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I do not have time to make and sell these. :( Hopefully my instructions make it easy for you to attempt.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails