Friday, May 6, 2011

Lego Mini figure Crayons

E. told me he wanted a lego swimming birthday party this year (whatever that is). Since, I have been in a creative funk the last couple of weeks, I was hoping he would change his mind, but no such luck. He's more excited than ever for his party, especially when I showed him these.



These lego mini figure crayons were what got me out of my funk and got me into the spirit of birthday party planning. How do I top E.'s Super Mario Birthday Party last year that was dubbed by several kids as the best party ever? I don't know if that is possible, but this is a start. The greatest thing about these little creations is the fact that it is one of the easiest things to make.

Take some crayons (brand name crayons turn out much nicer)





unwrap the paper.



chop into pieces



Fill into Mini figure mold. I bought this at the Lego store last year.



Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes until the crayons are melted.



Cool the crayons on the counter or in the freezer and then remove from mold when hardened.



You end up with a true sized mini figure that you can color with.



Make your favorite colors.



Or go overboard and make every color you have.





Keep working until you have made a set for every guest.



...and so this is the start of my Lego Birthday Party planning. Stay tuned to find out how I made my very own Lego Silicone mold (yes, I am that crazy..a standard one off of ebay just wasn't going to cut it for me, especially when I can make my very own). I am excited, how about you?

9 comments:

  1. I just bought one of these molds - love it! I didn't know you could microwave them. thanks for the tute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! I have done this with plain muffin tins, but never thought to use the Lego molds....brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are great! I bought some molds and my daughter and I are going to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have tried severl times to make these. Can I ask, did you have any trouble with the wax separating? As each time I make these,this is what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have trouble with the wax separating ONLY when I used a generic brand of crayons. After completing my crayons using the name brand, I had another box that my kiddos received at a restaurant that were not named brand that I used only to find out that the quality wasn't as good. I recommend only using name brand crayons.

      Delete
  5. My problem was after melting them in the microwave for5 min.(On batch 5) 2 of the mold spots had melted through leaving a hole! Have you had this problem?should I let them cool even longer before going at it on a new batch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a batch this weekend! I did not have any holes in my mold. Did you purchase your mold from the lego store? I microwaved each batch for 7 minutes and then let it cool for 25-30 minutes on the counter since I wasn't in a rush this time.

      Delete
  6. I just did this a couple days ago and I had a problem with my crayons breaking when I took them out of the molds. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to pop the crayons out at the heads first because the neck is a weak point. Other than making sure the crayons are hard, slow and steady seems to work for me.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails