Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cashew Coconut Brittle


Back in college, my friend took me to lunch at Cracker Barrel for the first time. There in their country shop was Cashew Coconut Brittle. I absolutely loved it. Each time I go, I would have to pick up some. It's been years since I've had anything but peanut brittle. Last year, I stopped by the country shop/restaurant for some of my favorite brittle and they no longer make any. I was so disappointed.

I normally do not have any cashews in the house because E. is allergic. My mom and I love cashews so each year, I buy her a huge jar. This year, I decided to sneak some of the nuts and make my own version of cashew coconut. Surprisingly, it turned out fabulous.

Cashew Coconut Brittle
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 cup light corn syrup
3 tbsp butter
3 cups cashews
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes

Directions
Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper with cooking spray.

Mix baking soda, 1 tsp water and vanilla and set aside. Mix sugar, 1 cup water, and the corn syrup in 3 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, to 240 degrees on candy thermometer.

Stir in butter and cashews. Then stir in the coconut. Cook, about 15 minutes, stirring constantly, to 300 degrees. Watch carefully so mixture does not burn. Immediately remove from heat. Quickly stir in baking soda mixture until light and foamy.



Pour half of the candy mixture onto each cookie sheet and quickly spread about 1/4 inch thick with buttered spatula. Cool completely, at least 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in air tight container.




This is so good. I just wish E. could taste it. He's my biggest supporter when it comes to tasting new recipes. What's your favorite thing to eat that you had to try making?

2 comments:

  1. When do you add the coconut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add the coconut right after you add the cashews. I hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails