Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Rice Pudding with Black Eyed Peas - Che Dau Trang



I was never a pudding type of gal. It wasn't until I met my husband and he introduced me to all the different types of Vietnamese pudding desserts that I had a new appreciation for them. One of my hubby's favorite desserts is Che Dau Trang which is basically rice pudding with black eyed peas. In my week challenge of making something new every day, I decided I would make him this delicious dessert.

This is a typical Vietnamese dessert that is creamy and slightly sweet with a touch of coconut milk. My dad likes to eat this warm while my hubby loves eating it chilled. The sweet rice and black eyed peas with coconut milk make it a winning combination for a hot summer day.

Che Dau Trang

Che Dau Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of glutinous sweet rice
  • 4 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 can of blacked eyed peas
Coconut Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup of half and half
  • 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
  • 3 teaspoons of sugar
Add the sweet rice and 4 cups of water to a pot and cover. Cook on medium heat for 25-30 minutes.



Stir the rice near the end so that it minimizes sticking to the pot.



The finished rice should be a little runny, but not too thick. If it gets too thick, you can add a little bit of water.



Once the rice is done, turn off the stove. Drain and rinse the can of black eyed peas.



Add it to the sweet rice.



Add 1/2 cup of sugar and stir everything together.



Transfer to a bowl to cool and then refrigerate.

To make the coconut sauce, pour the can of coconut milk into a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the half and half to make a slurry and then slowly stir it into the simmering coconut milk. Mix in the sugar and then turn off the heat.

To serve, scoop a few spoonfuls of the che into a bowl and then drizzle with a few spoons of the coconut sauce and enjoy. It's a great summer treat.



Especially with someone.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails