Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ice cream cake



A. wanted a Kirby cake for his birthday so a Kirby cake it is. Just in case you are wondering what that is, it's a character off of a Super Mario Bros. video game. Since A. doesn't eat cake, I decided to make him an ice cream cake. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

First, I took his favorite ice cream, mint chocolate chip and layered it in a 9" round pan. I first lined the pan with parchment paper for an easier removal.



I lined it with a sheet of plastic wrap and used another 9" round pan to press it flat.



I added another layer of chocolate ice cream. I refroze the ice cream in the freezer. The next part, I have no pictures for because I had to act quickly. I baked chocolate cake in a 9" round pan and let it cool. I added a crumb coat to the cake and refrigerated. Once that was set, I took the pan with the ice cream and inverted onto a board and placed the cake on top. I quickly frosted the entire cake and refroze. After it was hard, I decorated the cake with facial features.



It's not my most perfect piece, but it got high praises by all my kiddos. I know it's a winner when my kid who doesn't eat cake, ate the whole thing. Here's what it looks like cut.



Next time, I would only use one ice cream type, layer it thicker, and make the cake layer thinner. With a grin like this, I think either way, it was a winner.





Yum! All gone.



First time ever, we had no left overs. I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails