Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Pot Pie

I love preparing for the Thanksgiving meal.  I've cooked for my family every year since high school.  What I love most are all the leftovers.  We have no trouble gobbling up the entire turkey so this year I made two (just so I can be assured to have leftovers).  It started last year when I decided I wanted to try to fry a turkey.  Since I was so scared that something bad might happen, I also roasted a turkey as my back up.  The fried turkey was such a success that it was eaten up almost immediately so this year, I decided to forgo waking up 3 in the morning to roast the turkey and just fry two turkeys instead.  It turned out fantastic.  

Now for my favorite part, the leftovers.  After a solid 2 days of eating nothing but turkey (this is just me since my family was practically done with turkey and the trimmings after the second day), I decided to make turkey pot pie with the leftover turkey.  I haven't made it in a decade for reasons I'm uncertain of, but I am glad I dusted my cookbook because it was SO good.  We had no leftovers and a request to make it again.


The center was creamy and oh so good.


Turkey Pot Pie

2  9 inch pie crusts
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas and carrots
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp tsp pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (14.5 oz can)
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cut-up cooked turkey

Directions
Rinse frozen peas and carrots in cold water to separate; drain.

Heat oven to 425F.  Melt butter in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.  Stir in broth and milk.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir 1 minute.  Stir in chicken and peas and carrots; remove from heat.


Unroll store bought pie crusts.  Roll pastry to fit 9x13 casserole dish.  Ease into ungreased dish.  Pour chicken mixture over pie crust.


 Roll remaining pie crust to fit top of the casserole dish and place over chicken mixture.  I had extra dough so I cut leaves and placed them on top.

 

Bake about 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown.

 

I'm ready to make another one already.


Next time, I'll bake individual sized pot pies.


1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails