Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grateful Wishes



Have you ever received something that made you stop and think about how lucky you are? Yes, I am turning a year older this week and it never fails that despite the fact that I never really mention the day to anyone in my family or any of my friends (because growing up, birthdays were just another day in the year), it ceases to amaze me how many of my friends remember a day that I don't really think about.

I've been getting a lot of calls and great wishes already. Everyone has been asking me what I want for my birthday and I have been telling them different things. I tell my children the only thing I want is a simple card. I told my husband I want a day of him doing all the house work (yeah right...I've been asking for that one for a few years now and he still hasn't delivered (Merry Maids doesn't count)). In the end, the only things that I really want can't be wrapped.

Today I received a package in the mail from a VERY old friend, someone I worked with back in high school. It has been 16 years since I last worked for her and nearly that long since I last saw her. Despite hard economic times, she gave me a monetary gift, something that she probably needs a lot more than I. Has anyone ever given you something that they needed more than you? I was so touched by that gift and letter she wrote me that I started to swell up with tears. Having someone you haven't talked to in over a decade remember you, and also spend the time to remind you how special you are to them made me feel so blessed.

I don't know what I did for all the blessings that I have in my life. I really can't ask for a better birthday gift than the wealth of love and friendship that I have thus received. This posting is a special thank you to everyone in my life that reminds me that my birthday isn't just another day. Thank you so much for being a part of my life and making me feel so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails