Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pickled Carrots and Daikon

My hubby asked if we had any cucumbers the other night to make some pork patty sandwiches. Not having cucumbers got me thinking that I didn't have any pickled carrots either.



Pickled carrots can be added to many Vietnamese dishes and sandwiches to give it a sweet and sour crunch. They are found in spring rolls, salads, and in many noodle dishes. I generally purchase my pickled carrots at a local sandwich shop when I place my sandwich order. Since I decided to make my favorite banh mi (vietnamese sandwich), I decided I would pickle my own carrots and daikon.

Here's the recipe.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb. carrots -sliced in thin rounds or thin match-like strips or shredded with cheese grater
  • 1/2 lb. daikon radish – cut same as carrots.
  • 3 cups warm water
  • 3 Tablespoons distilled or rice vinegar
  • 2-3 tablespoons sugar, depending on how sweet you want your pickles
  • 2 tablespoons salt

Mix warm water, vinegar, sugar and salt until everything is dissolved.





Peel and cut carrots and daikon.



I like to use the match stick size for noodle dishes,



but like the grated size for sauces and sandwiches.



Fill the cut carrots and daikon into jars.



Pour the liquid mixture into the jars until they are full.



Close the jar and let it pickle for a few days. The longer you have it pickled, the more sour it will be.



It is a great compliment to the Vietnamese Sandwich, Banh Mi.



Here's my favorite grilled pork sandwich. I'll be posting the recipe later on. It is definitely de-li-cious. What's your favorite sandwich?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails