Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Caramel Apples

I love caramel, from caramel popcorn to peanut brittle (which to me is like hardened caramel) so I thought I would make caramel apples for the kiddos especially since they have never had any.


Caramel Apples
9 assorted apples, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
chocolate chips, chopped peanuts/cashews, sea salt, sugar (for decorating)

Directions

 

Insert a 5 inch dowel, popsicle stick or non-toxic twig into the stem end of each apple.  I just used some branches I had cut from our tree we were trimming.

Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, and stirCover, and cook over medium-high heat until sugar melts.  Uncover, and continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until mixture is dark golden, about 10 minutes.  Slowly drizzle in heavy cream.  Remove from heat, and stir until smooth.  Let stand for 3 minutes to let caramel thicken slightly, then dip bottom of 1 apple to test if caramel is thick enough.  If most of the caramel runs off of the apple, let caramel cool 1-2 minutes more, then try again.

Dip apples one at a time into the caramel to coat three-quarters of each apple.  Let excess drip off, and scrape bottom of apples against the side of the pot.  If caramel begins to harden, reheat pot.

Immediately after coating each apple, dip into nuts, chocolate chips or any garnish you desire.  Transfer each apple as decorated onto parchment paper and let set completely about 30 minutes.

 

I used black sugar to coat the bottom of one of the apples to make it look a little wicked.



I used mini chocolate chips to coat the bottom of another apple.


I do love the way they turned out.  The caramel is SO yummy that I may use this recipe again to make a batch of some caramel candy.



Who's ready to sink their teeth into one of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails