Monday, December 3, 2012

Carrot Cake Cookies

My sister first made carrot cake cookies for a potluck party I had over the summer.  I am not a fan of cream cheese, cheese in general (if I can taste it, I normally would pick it off) or even cheese cake (looks so yummy, but doesn't taste that great to me) so when my sister brought these carrot cake cookies with a cream cheese filling, I didn't think I would really enjoy them.

However, as I lecture my kids, "You have to at least taste it before you can say you don't like it," I was going to at least try them. You know something? I LOVE them and so did all the guests. It tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie, but even better.  Lately, I had a craving for them so she made me some because she loves me :)

 

This recipe came from Martha Stewart's, "Cookies" book that I bought my sister. I should buy her more recipe books so that she could bring over more food :)  The best thing about this cookie is that your kids will eat them up and not even notice the extra veggie they are eating as well.

Ingredients

Makes 18

for the filling:
2 ounces bar cream cheese, room temperature
2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

for the cookies:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup packed, finely grated, peeled carrots
1/3 cup dried currants

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Make filling: With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice; beat until combined. Cover; chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make cookies: In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugars, and egg yolk. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until combined. Mix in oats, carrots, and currants.


 

Drop dough by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake until edges are crisp, rotating baking sheets halfway through, 15 to 18 minutes.

 

Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. 

 

Turn half the cookies over, bottom side up; dollop each with about 1 teaspoon chilled cream-cheese filling. Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to spread filling to edges. Serve immediately.


I know I am no Rachel Ray, but let's just say it anyway, "YUM-MO"

 

These cookies do take a while to make, but they are worth the effort.


Don't they look scrumptious?


1 comment:

  1. We must be thinking the same thing. My bundt cake for this week is Carrot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails