Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fabric for my flowerbeds

Every year, I spend countless hours removing grass from our flowerbeds. It was so bad one year, I paid the guys that built my flower beds to do it for me, despite the fact that I am such a do-it-yourselfer.



This is what my flowerbeds used to look like. When doing our landscaping for our backyard, we lined our flowerbeds with some landscaping fabric and it has completely reduced the amount of grass to nearly none. I love the outcome so much that I needed to tackle our front yard the same way.



It was so much work. We had to spray the grass to kill it. Then, we dug up all the grass and weeds. We could have just tried to cover it up without all the prep work, but I wasn't going to take any chances this year.



We laid the landscaping fabric down, cutting out holes for our shrubs and trees. It's good to overlap any gaps and spaces as much as possible to prevent grass from reaching the surface.



Then we added a of couple inches of new mulch and voila! I simply cannot believe the difference.



I splurged this year on stained mulch. It wasn't too much more and if it could keep the dark color for a bit longer, I'm satisfied.



I cannot say how happy I am with the way it looks right now. The hours we spent prepping will definitely pay off in the long run. A few more things in our front yard to do and we are done for the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails