Monday, August 22, 2011

Apple Pops

Each year on the first day of school, I like to bring something special for my kids' teachers. Last year, I found these apple shaped hand sanitizing soap that I thought were perfect, but they don't make them anymore so I decided I wanted to make chocolate covered oreos and make them look like apples. I couldn't find the oreo mold in any local store and it would take too long to order them online so on to plan C, apple pops.



They weren't as perfectly smooth as I would have liked them to be, but they still turned out cute and even better, they are simply delicious.



Therefore, these are the first day of school gifts we will be handing out.



Aren't they cute?

They were pretty simple, but a bit time consuming to make. Bake any box cake mix in a 9x13 inch pan. I decided on chocolate.



After it cools completely, crumbled the cake mix using a fork. I decided to only crumble half the cake because I didn't need to make that many apple pops.



Add 3/4 of a can of store bought frosting for the entire cake. Use a spoon to incorporate the frosting into the crumbled cake.



Next, shape the apple pops using your hands to resemble an apple. I was able to make 30 with half of the cake.



Placee the apple pops in the freezer so that it could firm up. Meanwhile, break 1/2 inch pieces of pretzel sticks and form the leaves with a tootsie roll.



Cut up a tootsie roll in small pieces using scissors.



Then, flatten it with your fingers.



Cut off pieces to form the leaves and indent the center with a butter knife.



I was able to make 36 leaves with one tootsie roll.



Melt the red candy melt in the microwave. Move the apple pops from the freezer to the refrigerator after 15 minutes. Work with only a few at a time.



Place a lollipop stick on one end of the apple pop and dip it into the candy melt.



Before it hardens, place the pretzel and leaf on top. Swirl the apple pop so that it will be as smooth as possible.





I found these cute coffee cups that remind me of terracotta pots. I placed a piece of styrofoam inside the cup to support the apple pops.



Then I covered the styrofoam with construction paper.



I, next wrapped the styrofoam with construction paper that was cut to resemble grass.



I placed everything back into the cup.



I inserted the apple pops into the cup and voila.



I had a little note on each cup saying, "I hope you have the sweetest year ever!" Hopefully, the kids start off on the right foot and it leads to a wonderful school year. R. starts kindergarten today and like always, I'm there with my camcorder capturing every moment. It's crazy how time just flies by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails