I'm working on E.'s new room and the first thing that popped into my head was a gray upholstered headboard. I wanted a linen type fabric and I wanted it tufted. On top of that, I wanted a nail head trim. A lot of I wants, right? I started with this headboard and I ended up with what you see. I love how it turned out.
This is how I made it. I stripped the fabric off the old headboard so that I could reuse the wood. I recalculated the tufting spaces and drilled holes where I wanted the buttons to be. I wanted rows of alternating 6 and 7 buttons with a total of 4 rows. It was time to do some math because I wanted the spacing perfect.
Once that was done, I cut a piece of 2x2 to trim the headboard which is 62w x 60h.
The distance of the legs from floor to the bottom of the headboard should be the height of the top of your bed or smaller so there will be no gap.
I stripped a piece of scrap wood to place behind each leg so that it will be completely flush with the back of the head board.
Next, I added 2 inch foam in the center of the headboard and then added a couple of layers of batting on top of that.
Next came the tufting tools that I used.
I bought 2 packages of these button covers.
I also bought waxed button thread. At $4.99, I'm not sure this would be worth it. The wax did keep the thread from moving back through, but it was a bit pricey. Fortunately, I only had to pay $2.70 with my coupon :)
What I do find completely worth it was this double pointed needle. I had lost my tufting needle so I needed a replacement and I decided to try this one. I used my 50% off coupon to bring the price down to $4.99. However, with all the time it saved me, I would have gladly paid 3 times the price and that is saying a lot.
Covering the buttons was a cinch. Cut the fabric to the size of the template. Place it in the white well and then place the front of the button on top.
Use the blue plastic push to insert the front of the button down into the fabric. Tuck all the lose ends of the fabric into the well.
Next add the back of the button and push into place again.
Pop the button out of the well.
Repeat until you have all your buttons.
I normally would have the headboard standing up and have a helper, but I didn't have anyone so I had to be a little creative. I propped the head board on the edge of the bed and lifted the other ends with some ottomans. I would crawl under to thread the needle through the holes.
Insert the double sided needle through the hole with the thread. Un-thread the needle and insert thread through the button. Re-thread the needle and pull through. Here is where the double sided needle comes in handy. If you do not have one of those, you will have to pull the needed out completely and then poke it back through. You think that is easy, but it takes a lot of time and patience to find the tiny hole you created in the head board. Therefore, this double-sided needle saved me hours of trying to find the tufting holes.
I could not do anymore by myself so I had to beg for some help (well I bribed one with a hershey kiss). I got my sons to push the button down as far as possible while I laid underneath the head board and pulled the thread tight. This was the only way to get it super tight.
Underneath the bed, I stapled the thread in place. I normally use a washer or a button, but I didn't have any and didn't want to go out and get some. I will have to say using a washer is SO much easier than stapling especially when you are working on your own.
26 buttons later and I'm finally done!
Now it is time to staple the edges down. I started in the center and worked my way to the edge until I was done.
For the legs? I cut a separate piece of fabric for the bottom. I folded the top and bottom edges and then stapled from behind.
The front looks like this.
The verdict? I love it!
I had to wait a week to get my nail head trim I ordered. I didn't like the nail head trim in the store because the heads did not match the trim so when you hammered the nail heads into the trim, it looked too different for my liking. I found some nail heads online that I loved, but everyone was selling it for too much. Add shipping costs and it was causing me to rethink my plans. I emailed the company that made the nail head trim I wanted directly and they said they would sell it to me!!! I was so ecstatic. I had to still pay an arm and a leg for the shipping, but I got three times the amount of product for less than any other online retailer. Score for me!
I was so giddy when it arrived. It was super easy. I laid the trim where I wanted it.
Then I used the nail heads and hammered into place. I didn't want to pay for a nylon tip hammer so I just placed a sock over my regular hammer to protect the nail heads. It worked perfectly!
Finally, I got my new headboard for E who absolutely loves it!
Can I say I love it too? I'm a bit jealous myself. I may have to make me one :)
It's my first experience with nail heads and I couldn't be happier with the experience and the result.
Perfect bed for the perfect kid.
Here's the breakdown of my costs
Button Cover Kits $9.99
Double Sided Needle $4.99
Waxed Thread $2.70
Nail head Trim $43 (my splurge - $25 for the nail heads, $18 for shipping)
Total cost for this project was $62.93. That's a little pricey I know, but the bulk costs came from the nail heads which were technically bought for another project as well so to me it was worth it. If I split the costs of the nail head trim between the two projects, this one totals $41.43. I'm okay with that because I love love the