Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cilantro Salsa Dip

Ever since I tasted the cilantro salsa dip at a local restaurant, I knew I must have this recipe. It turned this cilantro non-lover into one that now loves it. We had some friends over this weekend and I knew this dip would be perfect.

After much googling, I found a recipe online. I followed it to a T, only to find that it was too salty to serve. Instead of throwing out the batch of salsa, I decided to make another batch without salt and combined them together. After all was said and done, it seemed as though we had made over a gallon of salsa!!! I ran out of food containers. Good thing Mr. N absolutely LOVES the dip. Best of all, even my 2 year old loves it.



If you are a cilantro lover, this is the dip for you. One batch makes a lot so be prepared to jar some of it or have a lot of friends over. Here is my modified recipe of the Cilantro Salsa Dip.

Ingredients

2 (28oz) cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes
3 jalapeno peppers (this will give a mild to semi-medium sauce..add more if you want it spicier)
5 bunches Cilantro
2 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp black pepper

Directions

Boil the jalapenos until tender. Drain. Remove the seeds and membranes. Remove and discard the stalks off one bunch of the cilantro, then coarsely chop the leaves and set aside to be added to the salsa at the end.

Remove and discard the stalks off the remaining bunches of cilantro. Working in batches, in a blender or food processor, puree the tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapenos. As each batch finishes, pour into a large bowl. When it's all blended, add in the spices and oil and mix well with a spoon. Add in the chopped cilantro and mix again. The flavor intensifies over time.



Of course, I tend to go over board in trying to please everyone so I served two other dips as well just in case we had any friends that weren't the cilantro loving fan.


2 comments:

  1. this sounds awesome! I love cilantro. Just one question though: have you thought about not pureeing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blender somewhat puree's it. Although, I do love it a little chunky so the extra cilantro that is thrown into the salsa last minutes makes it really nice.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails