Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rainbow Cake

For R.'s birthday, I decided to redeem myself from his first birthday cake disaster. When he was little, he was allergic to eggs, milk, wheat and nuts. Try making a delicious cake without flour and eggs. Needless to say, although it looked like a cake, it didn't taste very good. I've been wanting to make a rainbow cake for a long time and it was the perfect opportunity to do so.

I started with some white cake mixes and food coloring.



I followed the directions on the cake mix and then separated the batter into 7 bowls.



I started adding food coloring to each bowl (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple).



Each bowl was about a 1 1/4 cup of batter.





I baked the cake and let it cool.



At first, I decided to bake the layers individually.



To save time, I then started to bake two colors at a time. If I had to do it again, I would have definitely baked each color individually so that you can see a definite color change.



I added cream cheese filling to each layer and made a quick crumb coat around the cake.



I set the cake in the fridge before adding my final coat.



R.'s Thomas the train cake.







He was super happy with the way it turned out.



Now for the surprise. When I cut it opened everyone loved the rainbow!



My family who doesn't really like cake, loved the cake.



I will definitely make this cake again.



What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails