Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Donut Holes



I've never made donut holes from scratch before. When I asked if anyone was interested, it was all hands on deck to make these babies. Here's what I used. I used the babycakes cake pop machine.



I love it. There are many places you can buy it, but the cheapest place would probably be Bed Bath and Beyond. Use one of the coupons they always send you in the mail, and you could probably pick one up for less than $20. Of course, the day I wanted it, it was sold out so I didn't get as great of a deal, but ce la vie.

I made the Sour Cream Donuts
(found on their website)

Ingredients:

  • 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup milk
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • ¼ cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
  1. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  2. In separate bowl whisk together remaining ingredients, except glaze or topping. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Using a mixer on medium speed, blend until smooth.
  3. Fill each cooking reservoir with about 2 tablespoons of batter.
  4. Bake about 4 to 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into donut comes out clean.
  5. Glaze or coat with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar, as desired.
Makes about 2 dozen donuts

The first dozen, I coated with some powdered sugar.



Then I cooled on a rack.



They were so good.



I glazed the second dozen using the vanilla glaze recipe.
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar-sifted if necessary
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons hot water.




Double Yumo



The best part is that they aren't fried, but taste just as good.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion! After my last disastrous foray into cake pops (http://hearthsong.blogspot.com/2011/12/next-time-im-sticking-with-cupcakes.html), I have been loath to try again but these are tempting, and the 9 year old is asking for them for his birthday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this cake pop machine for Christmas! Haven't used it yet, but I think I will today after seeing this post! Off to get my ingredients for donut holes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I definitely want to try making these....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails