Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Coconut Bread

Whenever my dad comes to visit, he always picks up some Vietnamese Coconut Bread at the Asian market. He simply loves anything with coconut in it as do I. Therefore, when I found this recipe for coconut bread on one of my favorite blogs, I knew I had to try it.

I was scared at first because I made my last dozen loaves using my trusted and well-loved bread-maker. Making bread from scratch brought me back to middle school when I made my first loaf of french bread. It looked absolutely beautiful. Did you notice what I said? I said, "it looked beautiful." It was hardly tasty. It was so hard, I could have used it as baseball bat. With that said, this recipe turned out fab-u-lous.




Coconut Bread
1/2 C. canola oil
1/2 C. unsweetened coconut cream (or coconut milk)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/4 C. flour
3/4 C. sugar
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 C sweetened flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 loaf pan

In a small bowl, whisk canola oil, coconut cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until blended.



In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and flaked coconut and mix well.



Add wet ingredients from small bowl, and mix just until combined



Do not overmix.



Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.



Cool on baking rack



I took mine out of the pan after 10 minutes.



When completely cooled, cut into slices. Store in airtight container.



I love the sweet crispy crust. Yummy! This loaf didn't last long. I'm ready to bake another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails