Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fried Bananas

One of my all time favorite desserts is none other than fried bananas. I practically grew up on it. It's not that healthy so I don't make it that often, but what do you do when you have ripe bananas? You gotta make your favorite dish or the bananas simply go to waste, right? Just thinking about how it melts in my mouth, makes it worth the extra calories.



Fried Bananas

Vegetable Oil
Ice Water
Ripe Bananas
Tempura Mix
Sugar


Start out by heating some oil on high.

Partially fill a bowl with ice water (about a 1/4th filled). The ice is supposed to make the batter a tad more crispy.



Add enough tempura mix to make the batter the consistency of pancake mix. I used the tempura mix I normally use to make shrimp tempura.


Then, add about a tsp of sugar to the mix. Half the banana both length and width wise and add to batter.



Spoon the battered banana into hot oil.



Brown the bananas on both sides until crisp.



Dry on paper and serve hot.



Serve it simply as is...the way I like it.



Or add a little powder sugar like the French...



Or indulge a little by adding some melted chocolate. Either way, it is absolutely delicious and worth every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails