Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fried Rice


Fried rice is a staple in our home. Whenever, I am stuck in a bind and need to make something I know my kids would scarf down, it is fried rice. There is one ingredient, we almost always have in the house and that is rice. If you have rice and soy sauce, you can definitely make fried rice.


Ingredients


Soy Sauce

Chinese Sausage

Frozen peas, carrots, corn

Eggs

Oil

Onion Powder

Garlic Powder

Cooked rice


Notice, I do not have exact measurements for my ingredients. That is because you can put as little or as much of each item as you please. You can add whatever vegetables you like. I have been known to add broccoli, bean sprouts, hot dogs, chicken, etc. My fried rice usually consists of whatever I have in the fridge and pantry.


For a family of 6, I usually start out with 4 cups of uncooked rice. I don’t know how many cups of rice that becomes when it is cooked.



Here are my favorite brands. Maggi brand soy sauce and Kam Yen Jen Chinese Sausage.

Directions

Pre-cook
Here is the Chinese sausage I use. This is a must have for me in my fried rice. You can also use regular beef sausage or even hot dogs if you like. My kids absolutely love hot dogs in their rice.



Since, the veggies I am using are frozen, I like to toss those in to the wok to cook a little as well. Cook the veggies until the carrots are soft and warm.



Once the carrots are warm, I add the rice and the protein to the mix. Add about a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil.




I usually give 3-4 shakes of the onion powder and another 3-4 shakes of the garlic powder to the mix. Then I squirt the soy sauce over the rice and I mix. I will add in soy sauce until the rice isn’t bland. Don’t be scared of tasting your rice several times until you get it exactly how you want it to taste.



Since we have egg allergies in my household, the fried rice is done, except for E. who loves eggs. I go ahead and add an egg to his portion of rice.



All you have to do is crack an egg right in the wok and scramble it into the rice.



Cook the egg before stirring into the rice mixture so that it isn't too soggy.



Mix
the egg in when it is cooked.



Add some chopsticks and you are done! Fried rice keeps very well in the fridge. Since my kids love it so much, I do usually make big batches for leftovers. How I am wanting a bowl right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails