Thursday, April 8, 2010

The bed is finally done!



I finally was able to set up A's new bed in his room. I must say that I absolutely love it and I simply cannot believe that I built it. No, I didn't buy the bed and assemble it. I actually bought lumber and built it from scratch. When I couldn't find the daybed that I wanted, I decided I wanted to build it. Not ever building furniture before, I got a lot of chuckles and many people just telling me to go and buy something else instead. Despite this, I was up for the challenge. The only problem, was figuring out how to do it. A few weeks later I discovered this blog about building furniture. It's called Knock Off Wood. I fell in love with the site and haven't stopped reading it ever since.

I studied and learned the plans for the farmhouse bed. I knew I wanted to make it, but I needed it to be a daybed instead so I took the farm house plans and made changes to it to make my daybed and this is what I ended up with.



Do you love it as much as I do? I showed my dad my bed and he was speechless. He was so proud. He told me that it looked professional and that he simply couldn't believe that I made it. He used to be a cabinet maker so his words meant the world to me. I told him the list of other things that I wanted to build and you know something, he decided to give me some of his favorite tools to make it easier. I asked for his router and his countersink bit and so he is sending them. Yippee!

I used the plans on Knock Off Wood to make the head board and then I made the foot board and the side boards to match this bed. I wanted the molding to extend all around the bed and even onto the trundle front.



I really love how it turned out. All the materials totaled $260. That is a little more than what I wanted to spend, but it is still a lot cheaper than buying it at Pottery Barn (if it existed). The Thomas trundle alone is $399 and that is without tax and shipping. I am always on the look out for a bargain. I don't know what I am more ecstatic about, saving all the money or having the satisfaction that I built it. My kids absolutely are in awe of my creation. That's not something that I could have ever bought. It took a couple of weekends to complete, but it was well worth the time and effort. Its a sturdy bed that should last a lifetime and hopefully bring a lifetime of memories as well.



Click here to see how I built this bed.

7 comments:

  1. Great job on the bed, and I love the bargain linens you got for it too. They look great on beautiful bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this via Knock-Off Wood. You did a beautiful job... it looks just as nice (if not nicer!) than an actual Pottery Barn piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know what type of paint/stain that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used Bulls Eye 1 Qt. Flat Tuscan Stain in the Kona color and Bulls Eye Polyurethane

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fabulous!! I love this design and I need a daybed as well! What kind of wood did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used birch and white wood for this bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally impressive!!!! Beautiful finished project! I found your blog when researching how to make an upholstered headboard - you are my new hero!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails